Luxury SUVs are designed to offer best-in-class performance and a fully comfortable ride for the driver and the passengers. If you have a high budget, and you don’t want to compromise on the quality of ride, choosing a luxury SUV would be the best deal for you.
From small to midsize to large, luxury SUVs come in all prices and sizes. In this article, we have listed the top 10 luxury SUVs of 2021, ranked by their price and types. This comprehensive list will give you a glimpse into this year’s automotive market, and what are the options you have at hand.
Why We Picked It: Mercedes-Benz G-Class is not any ordinary SUV, it is often perceived as a symbol of class and elevated social status. The sky-high price makes this vehicle accessible to only a very small percentage of the population, and the option for customization makes it possible to own a model that’s totally unique. Now it has been upgraded with refined manners, thanks to the convenient front suspension. The interiors come adorned with leather upholstery, heated seats, massaging front seats, among various other luxury offerings.
- Engine– The G550 trim 416-hp boasts a twin-turbocharged V-8 engine, with 450 pound-feet of torque.
- Fuel Economy– As you can understand from its boxy body, the fuel economy is really poor. It offers an EPA fuel economy of 13 and 17 mpg, in city and highway, respectively. However, in real life, it barely managed to offer 15 mpg.
- Cargo– You will get 68.6 cubic feet of cargo space at the back of the front seats, and 38.1 cubic feet at the back of the rear seats. As compared to its predecessors, G-Class offers extended space for passengers as well as for hauling cargo.
2. Lincoln Navigator
Type: Large, Price: $76,705 onwards
Why We Picked It: The 2021 Lincoln Navigator is a great fit for those looking for a big-budget luxury ride. With a seating capacity of 8, this three-row vehicle has a towing capacity of a maximum of 8700 pounds. The stylized exterior turns heads, while the inclusion of leather trimmings, wood, and metal decor enhances its high-end appeal even more. The infotainment system comes with a massive 10-inch touchscreen display to make the riding experience fun and convenient.
- Engine– The vehicle is powered by a twin-turbo V-6 engine, producing 450 hp. It’s fast, powerful, and promises an enjoyable ride.
- Fuel Economy– It offers a combined fuel economy of 17 mpg (16/20 city/highway), which is far from being fuel-efficient.
- Cargo– When the seats are folded flat, Navigator offers a maximum combined cargo space of 103 cubic feet in the entry-level Standard trim. And if you go for the higher trim, the cargo area is even bigger.
3. Cadillac Escalade
Type: Large, Price: $77,790 onwards
Why We Picked It: In terms of visual appeal, style, and performance, Cadillac Escalade is one of the hottest SUVs of 2021. It oozes luxury in every possible way, starting from ambient lighting, leather door panels, leather trimmings, and semi-aniline hide (available in the Platinum trim), to the inclusion of a stellar digital dashboard. You will also get an augmented reality-driven navigation system, along with two 12.6 inch displays for the backseats. The 19-speaker sound system makes the experience nothing short of a music concert, which gets upgraded to a 36-speaker system in the Platinum trim.
- Engine- It is fuelled by a 420-hp V-8 engine of 6.2 liters, with an option to switch to a turbo engine of 3 liters. All engines come with standard 10-speed auto transmission.
- Fuel Economy- Escalade 2021 offers a combined EPA fuel economy of 16 mpg, 14 mpg/19 mpg city/highway. If you go for the turbo-diesel engine, the fuel economy bumps up to 21mpg/27 mpg city/highway.
- Cargo- When you put down the rear seats, the total cargo space is 121 cubic feet. The long-wheelbase model offers more cargo area than the standard wheelbase variant.
4. Land Rover Range Rover Sport
Type: Mid-size, Price: $70,850 onwards
Why We Picked It: Unlike the other vehicles in the Range Rover family, Sport is way more swift and cost-efficient than you can imagine. The multiple engine options, standard all-wheel drive, and impressive off-road ability make this midsize SUV a big hit among adventure lovers. Ideal as a family ride, Range Rover Sport carries along all the luxury amenities you would expect out of a Land Rover, such as a stylized exterior, spacious interior, heated seats, and plenty of cargo space.
- Engine- Sport has a wide choice of powertrains, including a V-8 engine, diesel engine, mild hybrid, and plug-in hybrid. The third trim HST boasts a turbo 3-liter mild hybrid engine, producing 395 hp. For the entry-level SE and HSE, the output is 355 hp.
- Fuel Economy- Fuel economy ratings for Range Rover Sport are not too impressive. For the diesel variants of Range Rover Sport, the city/highway mileage is 22 mpg/28 mpg.
- Cargo- The vehicle is equipped with a roomy cargo area of 28 cubic feet, located at the back of the SUV’s second row.
5. Audi Q7
Type: Mid-size, Price: $56,045 onwards
Why We Picked It: The 2021 Audi Q7 boasts comfortable three-row seating, making it a perfect luxury vehicle for small to large families. The spacious design doesn’t take away its sporty demeanor– you can expect fun rides on both city roads and highways. Each vehicle is equipped with the standard Quattro all-wheel drive, but you can also opt for the four-wheel drive to get a more sporty feel. The interiors feel ultra-luxurious, perfectly complemented by a tech-savvy infotainment system.
- Engine– Q7 comes with a four-cylinder turbo engine, producing an output of 248 hp, along with an added 335 hp 3-liter hybrid engine.
- Fuel Economy– Fuel economy is quite poor for Q7. It gives 17 mpg in the city and 21 mpg on the highway.
- Cargo– Cargo space can feel cramped up when all three rows are in use. When the third row is folded, it has around 14.2 cubic feet of space, and when the middle row is folded, the space is around 69.6 cubic feet.
6. Lexus RX
Type: Mid-size, Price: $46,245 onwards
Why We Picked It: Sturdy on the outside and cozy on the inside, the Lexus RX 2021 is a luxury vehicle in the true sense of the term. With a seating capacity of 5-7 people (options available for two-row or three-row), this one is suitable for long family rides or cruising around town. The use of luxurious materials makes the interior of the car a class apart. It has leather trimmings, and metal or wood trimmings, and comfy cushioned seats.
- Engine– The RX350 variant is powered by a 3.5-liter V-6 engine. For the RX450 variant, the same engine remains, with the addition of two electric motors.
- Fuel Economy– Despite being a powerful SUV, the engine isn’t very fuel-thirsty. It offers a combined fuel economy of 30 mpg– 31 mpg in city and 28 mpg on highways.
- Cargo– When all the back seats are folded down, you will get a cargo area of 58.5 cubic feet, and with only the third-row seat down, the capacity is 23 cubic feet.
7. Jaguar F-Pace
Type: Compact, Price: $51,345 onwards
Why We Picked It: Jaguar F-Pace not only looks stunning but also brings along excellent hauling capacity and an athletic driving experience. If you’re here for a sporty ride, this is surely a good choice. This year’s model has been upgraded with a brand-new hood, grille, and lighting to make the exterior stand out. The headroom and legroom are more than spacious, with minimalist interior accents to complement its luxurious appearance.
- Engine- Jaguar F-Pace comes with a standard 246-hp 2-liter turbo engine, and a more powerful 3-liter engine producing an output of 335 hp or 395 hp.
- Fuel Economy- The inline-six engine offers 20 mpg/ 27 mpg, in city and highway respectively.
- Cargo- With this vehicle, you will get a cargo space of 31.5 cubic feet at the back of the rear seats, and when the back seats are folded, it’s around 69.1 cubic feet.
Type: Compact, Price: $53,450 onwards
Why We Picked It: The 2021 Porsche Macan makes its way to the list of best luxury SUVs of the year, thanks to its sporty demeanor, ease of handling, and stylish body. Whether you’re driving through tracks or going around the city, the performance is equally remarkable. The interior comes with a power-adjustable driver’s seat and a front passenger seat. You can opt for leather upholstery with an extra fee for a more luxurious appearance in the cabin. As for infotainment, the vehicle offers WiFi connectivity and Apple CarPlay, and you can choose wireless charging as an add-on.
- Engine- For the engine, we would recommend the middle trim S, powered by a twin-turbocharged V-6 engine, with an output of 348 hp. It is quick, powerful, and almost feels like an agile sports sedan.
- Fuel Economy- Macan offers a fuel economy rating of 18 mpg/24 mpg city/highway.
- Cargo- Macan’s cargo space is quite average by the luxury standards. The available cargo space is 17.6 cubic feet, but if you fold down the rear seats, it gets extended to 52.9 cubic feet.
Type: Compact, Price: $43,995 onwards
Why We Picked It: BMW X3 2021 offers a refreshing sporty and comfortable demeanor, reminding one of the classic BMW sports sedans. The interior features 10-way power-adjustable front seats, reclining rear seats, and cushioning for all seats, adding to the list of luxury features. The infotainment system comes with Bluetooth and Wi-Fi connectivity, along with a USB port and wireless charging option for smartphones.
- Engine- The vehicle is powered by a 2-liter turbo engine with an output of 248 hp. There is an option for both rear-wheel drive and all-wheel drive.
- Fuel Economy- The EPA fuel economy of BMW X3 is 23 mpg/ 29 mpg, in city and highway respectively. The combined fuel economy stands at 25 mpg.
- Cargo- When the back seats are folded down, X3 offers a 62.7 cubic feet cargo space, and 28.7 cubic feet when the seats are up.
10. Alfa Romeo Stelvio
Type: Compact, Price: $43,845 onwards
Why We Picked It: Here is yet another luxury SUV that’s ruling the charts in 2021. With a charming visual appeal, this one makes way for a powerful ride on all roads. Its Italian pedigree lends the vehicle a unique design, making it stand out from any other SUV on the road. The interiors are adorned with leather upholstery, comfortable seats, and an infotainment system with optional in-dash navigation.
- Engine– This compact SUV is powered by a 280-hp four-cylinder turbo engine. Apart from the rear-wheel-drive base model, the other trims come with standard/optional all-wheel drive.
- Fuel Economy– Alfa Romeo Stelvio offers a combined fuel economy of 24 mpg. (22 mpg/ 28 mpg city/ highway)
- Cargo– This vehicle has a low cargo-hauling capacity. With the rear seats folded, the available space is 56.5 cubic feet, and when the seats are up, it’s around 18.5 cubic feet.
What are the types of Luxury SUVs?
Small SUVs, also called compact SUVs, are the most affordable in the sports utility vehicle segment. They are good for light off-roading, come with convenient storage options, and are easy to drive. The fuel economy varies based on the engine size, but it’s still much better than traditional SUVs. Some of the most popular compact luxury SUVs are Jaguar F-Pace, Alfa Romeo Stelvio, and Porsche Macan.
If you’re looking for more cargo space and better off-road capacity, you can opt for a midsize SUV. They also offer more towing capacity than small SUVs and are more on the affordable side than large SUVs. Midsize SUVs are equipped with more powerful engines, so the fuel economy may drop down a little from the compact variants. Lexus RX, Audi Q7, Land Rover Sport are some of the luxury midsize SUVs you can check out.
Large or full-size SUVs are ideal for big families. They ride with equal efficiency on city roads, as well as on rough terrains. They have high ground clearance, high towing capacity, large cargo area, more passenger space, and ensure a powerful driving experience. Because of their robust body, big SUVs are fuel-thirsty and are notorious for offering low fuel economy. To get over this drawback, many vehicles come with hybrid powertrains, which offer slightly better fuel economy ratings. Cadillac Escalade, Mercedes-Benz G-Class, and Lincoln Navigator are some of the noteworthy large SUVs.
2-row SUVs offer extended cargo storage space, as there is no third row to occupy the rear area of the vehicle. Generally, 2-row SUVs have a seating capacity of 5.
3-row SUVs are meant for big families who need more seating capacity in their vehicles. If you have a child, having a third row can be really helpful. However, because of this additional seat, the cargo space becomes cramped up.
Difference between regular SUVs and Luxury ones?
Luxury SUVs are a class apart from regular SUVs, not only because of their big price tag but also for the premium features they offer. In terms of comfort, performance, appearance, electronics, and safety, luxury SUVs offer better packages. Their refined suspension system is far more improved than the average spring suspension of normal SUVs, resulting in more comfy rides.
What makes them luxurious?
- Luxury vehicles are known for their powerful engines, which offer more power and higher torque than regular SUVs. They also offer multiple options of powertrains.
- The interior of a luxury SUV is more refined, with leather upholstery, wood trimmings, and other detailing.
The driver and passenger seats of a luxury SUV often come with lumbar support, ensuring optimum comfort. There can be heated seats or massaging seats, with a convenient infotainment system to keep you company during your ride. Some vehicles also offer a high-end sound system, which is rare to find in an ordinary car.
What to look for when choosing a Luxury SUV?
- Powertrain Options- Whether you’re looking for a hybrid engine or a diesel one, checking the powertrain options is always a good idea, before you make the big decision.
- Interior Trimmings- Try to look for leather upholstery, comfortable heated seats, and stylish accents to make sure the interior of your vehicle looks just as luxurious as the exterior.
- Infotainment- In today’s world, a luxury car has to have the latest infotainment features. While Android Auto and Apple CarPlay integration are common across most SUVs, not every vehicle offers a premium sound system or a bigger display. So make sure you check the detailed offerings when you’re choosing a luxury SUV.
- Safety Ratings- Safety should always be a top priority. Check the JD Power reliability ratings, and the NHTSA or IIHS safety ratings before making a purchase.
- Fuel Economy- Before you seal the deal with your car dealer, don’t forget to check the fuel economy ratings of the car.