If you’re looking for a vehicle that’s more than capable of handling rough terrain but still drives comfortably on the road, then a midsize SUV would be perfect for you. They are reliable, economical, and luxurious at the same time. As a buyer, the plethora of options might seem overwhelming. To alleviate any confusion, we’ve compiled a list of the 20 best midsize SUVs on the market today, along with their advantages and disadvantages.
Our experts have tailored their recommendations to suit both your budget and your lifestyle. So go ahead, and find the ride of your dreams.
The bold and sturdy body of the Nissan Murano is perfectly complemented by its comfortable and luxurious interior. This car has been praised by critics for its exterior finish which showcases cool angles and modern styling with sleek accents.
The engine responds to every gear shift and the suspension soaks up even the most uneven terrain. Investing in a car like this gets your family away on vacations without breaking the bank. Plus, it also offers advanced safety features and luxurious amenities inside. This 5-seater is great for small families without being too large and cumbersome.
The 4 available trims are S, SV, SL, and Platinum.
Base price: $32,575
Nissan Murano 2021 Specs
- Engine- Nissan Murano is equipped with a 3.5-liter V6 engine, producing 260 hp.
- Towing- It comes with a towing capacity of 1500 pounds.
- Cabin- The luxurious interior of the vehicle is furnished with soft leather. The comfortable seats and the advanced infotainment features are worth the mention.
19. Buick Enclave
The 2021 Buick Enclave offers a smooth and quiet ride with its sleek aerodynamic design. The driving experience includes exceptional handling on all types of roads. Its interior is incredibly spacious, seats up to 8 people, and has a wide range of available tech and connectivity features like wireless phone charging and heated steering wheel for winter.
If you’re looking for a spacious and luxurious midsize crossover SUV that comes with plenty of features, then the 2021 Buick Enclave should be on your list of cars to test drive.
Base price: $41,495
Buick Enclave 2021 Specs
- Engine- This incredibly powerful vehicle comes with a 3.6-liter V6 engine producing 310 hp.
- Towing- If you opt for the trailering package, you can get a towing capacity of up to 5000 pounds.
- Infotainment- The intuitive 8-inch touchscreen display offers WiFi connectivity via hotspot, with integrated Apple CarPlay and Android Auto.
18. Ford Edge
This Ford range is an exception among the similar line of SUVs that give more primacy to passenger hauling than to improving the comfort levels within a small seating capacity. This two-row SUV seats four people and comes with a new and upgraded infotainment system.
Base price: $32,495
Ford Edge 2021 Specs
- Engine- The base model has a turbocharged four-cylinder engine, which produces 250 hp.
- Infotainment- Has a 12-inch touchscreen display, with Android Auto and Apple CarPlay compatibility.
- Driver-Assistance Features- The vehicle comes with lane-keep assist, automated emergency braking, and blind-spot monitoring in the standard trim.
17. Toyota 4Runner
The 2021 Toyota 4Runner is one of the most in-demand SUVs on the market. It is not only great for off-road adventures, but it also has a sleek and sporty design. The handsome body, the roomy Interiors, and the multiple drive modes make it worth the heavy price tag. Its powerful 4L V6 engine can climb any hill and go anywhere with confidence, giving peace of mind to the driver and a smooth experience to the passengers.
On top of its performance, the 4Runner also comes with multiple trim levels, from basic SR5 to TRD Pro models. Each trim level offers different features and trims for your liking, making it possible for everyone to customize this vehicle and make it their own.
Base price: $37,265
Toyota 4Runner 2021 Specs
- Engine- It comes with a 4-liter V6 engine.
- Towing- 4Runner offers a massive towing capacity of 5000 pounds.
- Infotainment- The vehicle has an 8-inch touchscreen display, with a WiFi hotspot (subscription-based), Apple CarPlay, and Android Auto compatibility.
16. GMC Acadia
The vehicle has been aerodynamically engineered for efficient airflow. The taillights are perfectly designed to provide a sporty look that goes well with the rest of the vehicle’s exterior aesthetics.
Base price: $30,995
GMC Acadia 2021 Specs
- Engine- GMC Acadia is equipped with a 193 hp 2.5-liter four-cylinder, or you may opt for the optional 310 hp 3.5-liter V6 engine.
- Towing- The 2.5-liter variant offers a towing capacity of 1000 pounds, but if you upgrade to the V6, it goes up to 4000 pounds.
- Infotainment- The vehicle comes with an intuitive touchscreen infotainment system, along with a WiFi hotspot and USB ports.
15. Subaru Ascent
The 2021 Subaru Ascent has been designed for those who need both space and versatility. The interior has been carefully thought through to provide great comfort with every individual need covered. It is also more fuel-efficient, making it the perfect car for environmentally conscious individuals.
Thanks to its large seating capacity (7-8 people), this SUV can accommodate the whole family while also providing a comfortable environment. The material quality that has been used throughout the interior carries a luxurious appeal while promising durability at the same time.
The overall design of the car is very elegant and modern, with all-round versatility and practicality. The available trims are the Base model, Premium, Limited, and Touring.
Base price: $33,345
Subaru Ascent 2021 Specs
- Engine- Ascent runs with a 2.5-liter four-cylinder engine, producing 260 horsepower.
- Interior- The interior of the car is quite spacious, with a capacity to fit up to 8 people. Additional features such as heated seats and heated steering wheels are available in the Limited and Touring editions.
- Infotainment- Subaru Ascent is equipped with an intuitive infotainment system. The big touchscreen display is easy to operate, and it’s compatible with Apple CarPlay and Android Auto.
Chevrolet Blazer brings to you a beautiful amalgamation of sportiness and a smooth ride. It has an efficient and powerful 2.5-liter engine under the hood that delivers the power you need for cruising down the highway or getting around town.
The car is equipped with advanced safety features, such as forward collision alert and lane-keeping assist. Forward collision alert senses when you are closing in on another vehicle, while lane-keeping assist helps keep the car in its own lane. There are also plenty of tech features, such as Apple CarPlay, wireless charging, and 4G LTE Wi-Fi hotspot.
The only downside is that if you’re looking for the best driving dynamics, you would have to opt for the higher and more expensive trims.
Base price: $29,995
Chevrolet Blazer 2021 Specs
- Engine- Chevrolet Blazer comes with a standard 2.5-liter four-cylinder with an output of 193 hp, and a 2-liter turbocharged engine of 230 hp. You may also opt for the optional 3.6 liter V-6, which produces 380 hp.
- Towing- The vehicles that are equipped with V6 engines offer a towing capacity of 4500 pounds.
- Infotainment- Blazer comes with a user-friendly infotainment system, equipped with a standard 8-inch touchscreen. It’s compatible with Android Auto and Apple CarPlay. You will also get a Bose eight-speaker audio system, WiFi hotspot, and wireless phone charging.
13. 2021 Dodge Durango
The 2021 Dodge Durango is a new SUV that is packed with up-to-date technology and enhanced safety features. It has a new grille, new LED features, and a new hood. The seats are comfortable, thanks to the seat heaters and ventilated front seats. It has a spacious cargo area, and also offers split-fold third-row seats. The fold-and-tumble second row makes it easier than ever to hop in and out of the vehicle.
The sturdy and robust design of the Durango ushers a new era in the world of midsize SUVs. Suitable for big families, the vehicle promises a smooth ride on diverse terrains.
Base price: $33,490
Dodge Durango 2021 Specs
- Engine- Dodge Durango runs on a V-6 engine with 295 hp output. You can also opt for the optional V-8 360 hp engine.
- Towing- The R/T trim comes with the Tow N Go package, offering a towing capacity of up to a massive 8700 pounds.
- Infotainment- The well-equipped infotainment system comes with a standard 8.4-inch display, and you can also opt for the optional 10.1 inches one. Both are integrated with Android Auto and Apple CarPlay.
The Atlas SUV is the new family vehicle that offers plenty of space for a family of seven. It comes with powerful eight-speed automatic transmission, and an engine that gets great gas mileage. It’s designed to perform well in all weather conditions with convenient features such as heated seats, all-weather lamps, parking sensors, and three-zone climate control.
Base price: $32,565
Volkswagen Atlas 2021 Specs
- Engine- You can choose between the four-cylinder engine with 235 hp, or the V6 engine with 276 hp.
- Towing- Volkswagen Atlas comes with a maximum towing capacity of 5000 pounds.
- Infotainment- Every trim is equipped with an intuitive touchscreen display. The base model has a 6.5-inch display, while the higher trims have an 8-inch display. Apple CarPlay, Android Auto, WiFi hotspot, and USB port are available for all models.
11. 2021 Hyundai Santa Fe
The Santa Fe offers great fuel economy and a comfortable ride for both adults and kids. The car is equipped with optional heated front seats, two-zone automatic climate control, driver-side blind spot mirror, a rearview camera with dynamic guidelines, and premium 18-inch wheels.
Base price: $26,995
Hyundai Santa Fe 2021 Specs
- Engine- Hyundai Santa Fe comes with a 191 hp 2.5-liter four-cylinder engine, but you can upgrade to a 2.5-liter turbocharged engine with an output of 277 horsepower.
- Infotainment- The convenient infotainment system comes with a 12-speaker audio system, wireless charging (optional), Apple CarPlay, and Android Auto. You can choose between the 8 inch or 10.3-inch touchscreen display.
- Interiors- The vehicle comes equipped with heated rear seats, a digital gauge cluster, and ventilated front seats. These additions infuse a luxurious touch to this new range.
10. 2021 Honda Passport
This Honda range combines an affordable price, fuel economy, superior safety ratings, and one of the most advanced driver assistance systems on the road to make it a unique choice for those looking for a new car.
Base price: $33,965
Honda Passport 2021 Specs
- Engine- Honda Passport comes with a 3.5-liter V6 engine, producing 280 hp.
- Towing- This Honda beast offers a towing capacity of up to 5000 pounds.
- Infotainment- The vehicle comes with a standard 8-inch display, integrated with Android Auto and Apple CarPlay. The top trims Touring and Elite offer an advanced audio system, wireless charging as well as a WiFi hotspot
9. Honda Pilot
The exterior design of the Honda Pilot turns heads while also delivering a smooth ride and dependable performance. With Honda’s excellent long-term reliability, you can expect that your vehicle will remain trouble-free for years to come.
Base price: $33,725
Honda Pilot 2021 Specs
- Engine- The V6 engine offers an output of 280 hp.
- Towing- The Pilot Special edition, when combined with an all-wheel-drive, offers a maximum towing capacity of 5000 pounds.
- Infotainment- The base model is equipped with a 5-inch display, but if you go for EX and the higher trims, it will be upgraded to an 8-inch touchscreen with Apple CarPlay and Android Auto
With as many as 10 available trims, you will find a Cherokee for every need and every budget.
Base price: $33,890
Jeep Grand Cherokee 2021 Specs
- Engine- Cherokee comes with a standard V6 engine, but you will get a V8 engine on Limited and the higher trims.
- Towing- The V6 Cherokees have a towing capacity of 6200 pounds, and the V8 ones offer 7200 pounds.
- Infotainment- The standard 5-inch display is not too impressive, so you can upgrade to an 8.4-inch touchscreen. The in-car WiFi and rear-seat entertainment make long drives a lot more fun.
CX-9 emerges in 2021 with a plethora of the latest tech updates, and a handsome Carbon edition package available for the Grand Touring trim.
Base price: $35,060
Mazda CX-9 Specs
- Engine- Mazda offers a four-cylinder turbocharged engine which results in better fuel economy.
- Performance- In terms of performance, it goes from zero to 60 mph in an impressive duration of 7.1 seconds.
- Infotainment- Each trim comes with a standard 10.3-inch display. Mazda Connected Services suite makes it easy to keep track of remote locking, telematics, etc.
6. Ford Explorer
The three-row Ford Explorer comes loaded with the latest safety features, infotainment, and connectivity additions, along with offering a comfortable ride. The available trim levels are- Base, XLT, Limited, Timberline, Enthusiast ST, ST, Limited Hybrid, Platinum, King Ranch, and Platinum Hybrid.
The 2021 Ford Explorer is equipped with many standard features, such as voice-controlled navigation, automated emergency braking, forward collision warning, blind-spot monitoring, lane departure warning, and lane-keeping assist. As there are multiple options available for powertrains and drivetrains, the fuel economy varies from trim to trim.
Base price: $33,470
Ford Explorer 2021 Specs
- Engine- It comes with a 2.3-liter four-cylinder engine with an output of 300 horsepower. (Base, XLT & Limited)
- Towing- It offers a towing capacity of 5600 pounds.
- Infotainment- The Platinum trim is equipped with a vertically oriented screen of 10.1 inches, and the standard is an 8-inch touchscreen display. All models come with voice-controlled navigation systems.
5. Hyundai Palisade
Equally adept at on-road and off-road performance, the Hyundai Palisade features a refined exterior and luxurious interior. The available trim levels are SE, SEL, Limited, and Calligraphy. The newly introduced Calligraphy comes with door panels made of superior quality quilted leather, 20-inch wheels, and a magnificent exterior.
If you’re looking to get the most value out of your purchase, Palisade would be a good choice, especially the lower trims. However, the highest trim is priced almost at a whopping $50k, which is quite high if compared to its competitors.
Base price: $32,645
Hyundai Palisade 2021 Specs
- Engine- Palisade comes with a 3.6-liter V6 engine with eight-speed automatic transmission, producing 291 horsepower.
- Towing- When integrated with the right equipment, it offers a towing capacity of up to 5000 pounds.
- Infotainment- It has a standard 8-inch touchscreen display with Apple CarPlay and Android Auto and an optional intuitive 10.3-inch display.
The 2021 Kia Sorento combines within itself the muscular design, with a bold and stylized exterior. At one glance, you can see that the overall design is vastly different from the older versions. The brand new platform makes the vehicle highly spacious, making it a comfortable choice for long drives.
The best part of the 2021 variant is the availability of multiple powertrain options. The wide range of trim levels offers a plethora of choices to the buyers, so you can choose a Sorento according to your budget and preferences.
Base price: $30,565
Kia Sorento 2021 Specs
- Engine- Kia Sorento offers multiple powertrain options. The standard one is a 2.5-liter four-cylinder engine producing 191 hp.
- Towing- Sorento is equipped with a towing capacity of 3500 pounds.
- Safety Features- The vehicles are loaded with standard safety features such as lane departure warning, lane-keep assist, and forward-collision warning.
3. 2021 Toyota Highlander
3rd on our list is the 2021 Toyota Highlander, boasting an impressive safety rating by NHTSA and IIHS. This three-row SUV is not only powerful but also comes with a stylized body.
This perfect all-rounder has a smooth ride, roomy cargo space, and it can tow with ease. The Highlander is an excellent family vehicle that will not disappoint you on any level. As a successor to the older Toyota Highlander, the new model has plenty of added features and upgraded technology. The first thing buyers will notice is a newly designed exterior that pays homage to older models. Another improvement that is immediately apparent on the new Highlander is a fresh interior that makes it feel more spacious and comfortable than ever before.
Base price: $36,085
Toyota Highlander 2021 Specs
- Engine- Toyota Highlander comes with a 3.5-liter V6 engine which produces an output of 295 hp. Highlander’s hybrid powertrain features a 2.5-liter four-cylinder engine, along with two electric motors. The output is 243 hp.
- Towing- Highlander offers an impressive towing capacity of up to 5000 pounds.
- Driver-Assistance Features- If you go for the driver-assistance suite, you’ll get access to automated emergency braking, lane-keep assist, and automatic headlamps.
On number 2, we have the Chevrolet Equinox, with a safety rating of 5/5 by NHTSA and a reliability score of 81/100 by J.D. Power. The available trims are L, LS, LT, and Premier.
Chevrolet Equinox 2021 is a family-oriented crossover SUV with a five-seat configuration. It is the fourth generation of Equinox and is offered in regular and hybrid variants. The trims come with a standard AWD system (except the base model) and standard 6-speed automatic transmission. The lower trims offer high fuel economy.
Base price: $24,995
Chevrolet Equinox 2021 Specs
- Engine- Equinox has a standard 1.5-liter turbo engine with 170 hp, and an optional 2.0-liter engine with an output of 252 hp.
- Towing- It has a towing capacity of up to 3500 pounds when supported by the right equipment.
- Safety Features- It is equipped with blind-spot monitoring, rear parking sensors, and adaptive cruise control.
1. Kia Telluride
Featuring a stylish interior and a sturdy body, Kia Telluride tops our list. The 2021 Telluride is the newest edition of the Kia lineup. This three-row vehicle is committed to providing you with maximum room and comfort for a variety of adventures.
The 2021 Kia Telluride will be available in both 7-passenger and 8-passenger configurations. The 7-passenger option has enough space to comfortably seat 6 adults and 1 child. The 8-passenger version has room for 7 adults and 1 child. Either way, both versions will provide you with ample legroom.
It offers a smooth ride and is easy to maneuver. Additional features such as heated seats, second-row captain’s chair, and sunroof add a new edge to this SUV. It has also received an overall high safety rating from NHTSA and IIHS.
Base price: $32,785
Kia Telluride 2021 Specs
- Engine- The 3.8-liter V6 engine gives an output of 291 hp, and 262 lb-ft of torque.
- Nightfall Edition- The 2021 version is equipped with the Nightfall Edition, which makes the model look more elegant and posh.
- Towing- Kia Telluride has a towing capacity of up to 5000 pounds.
MidSize SUV buying Guide
What Is Considered to Be A Midsize SUV?
A midsize SUV is an automotive vehicle that has enough cargo room but is not as large as a full-size SUV. It typically seats 5 to 8 adults and has a high ground clearance. They are usually less expensive than full-size SUVs and can get good gas mileage.
Midsize SUVs are perfect for families who need a little more cargo space than the average sedan but don’t feel they need all of the added luxuries of larger vehicles.
What to Look for When Buying A Midsize SUV?
Here are the top 3 expert tips that you must keep in mind while buying a midsize SUV.
- Your Need & Lifestyle
When you’re shelling out a large amount of money on an SUV, you have to make sure that it fits well into your lifestyle and your daily needs. For example, if you’re fond of off-roading, opting for a sturdy trim would be a good choice. But if you’re planning to use your car for everyday chores, you may look for some less expensive alternatives.
- Fuel Economy
To take care of your expenses, as well as the environment, choose a vehicle that offers better fuel economy than the rest.
The final deciding factor is your budget. Choosing a midsize SUV can definitely save some serious bucks than the more luxurious full-size variants, but you have to make the right choice. You’ll find multiple trims of the same midsize, and you have to pick a vehicle that meets your requirements, and fits your budget at the same time.