In 2022, it’s impossible to not be obsessed with electrification. In the recent past, there has been an influx of hybrid and plug-in hybrid SUVs, belonging to small, midsize, and full-size segments. Among these, the small or compact hybrids are the most affordable options– they offer the reliability of an SUV, the comfort of a small car, as well as the fuel efficiency of a hybridized engine.
In this article, we have listed down the best current and upcoming small hybrid SUVs ranked according to descending order of prices.
Best #1 Category
2022 Land/Range Rover Evoque R-Dynamic HST [Best in Luxury]
Price: $56,050, Row-seating: 2-row
Why We Picked It: Another noteworthy contender in the best small hybrid SUV segment, the Evoque R-Dynamic HST comes with a suite of luxurious features. From heated seats to wireless charging, powerful powertrain to a special black exterior, this model is meant to offer a premium experience to its customers. However, handling isn’t as agile as you’d expect from a compact hybrid SUV.
- Engine- The base engine is a 2-liter turbo inline-four generating 246 hp. Another special addition is the P300 mild-hybrid engine which generates 296 hp.
- Fuel economy- It offers 20/ 27 mpg city/highway on gasoline.
- Cargo space- The available cargo area is 21.5 cubic feet.
- Towing capacity- The maximum towing capacity is 3968 lbs.
2022 Audi Q5 55 TFSI® e PHEV [Best in Agility]
Price: $55,695, Row-seating: 2-row
Why We Picked It: If you’re looking for a comfortable luxury small plug-in hybrid SUV, consider taking a look at the 2022 Audi Q5 55 TFSI® e PHEV. Its handsome exterior is complemented by an equally sophisticated cabin, with no dearth of the latest tech features. Driving thrills are not particularly remarkable, but it does offer an agile ride on all road conditions. Quattro all-wheel drive is available as standard.
- Engine- It’s powered by a 2-liter turbo inline-four engine paired with an electric motor. The combined output is 362 hp.
- Fuel economy- Gasoline-only fuel economy is 26 mpg combined city/highway, and on electric and gas combined, it’s 61 MPGe.
- Cargo space- The available cargo space is 25.1 cubic feet.
- Towing capacity- It can tow up to 2000 lbs.
2022 Lexus NX 350h [Best in Practicality]
Price: $42,125, Row-seating: 2-row
Why We Picked It: Featuring an outdoor-focused exterior and a luxurious and tasteful cabin, the 2022 Lexus NX 350h is a practical hybrid SUV. It doesn’t claim to offer chart-busting performance, rather it prioritizes comfort and fuel efficiency. The price is on the higher side considering the segment it belongs to, so this is more suited for a customer base that’s willing to pay a premium for a small SUV.
- Engine- The 2.5-liter four-cylinder engine paired with two electric motors generates 239 hp.
- Fuel economy- The estimated fuel economy is 41/37/39 mpg city/highway/combined.
- Cargo space- The available cargo space is 22.7 cubic feet.
- Towing capacity- It can maximum tow up to 2000 pounds.
2021 Toyota RAV4 Prime [Best in Value]
Price: $39,220, Row-seating: 2-row
- Engine- It’s powered by a 2.5-liter 4-cylinder engine with 3 permanent-magnet synchronous motors. The combined output is 302 hp.
- Fuel economy- It offers a combined fuel economy of 38 mpg and an electric equivalency of 94 MPGe.
- Cargo space- The available cargo space is 33.5 cubic feet.
- Towing capacity- It can tow up to 2500 pounds.
2022 Subaru Crosstrek Hybrid [Best in Comfort]
Price: $36,770, Row-seating: 2-row
Why We Picked It: The 2022 Subaru Crosstrek focuses more on creating an outdoorsy image rather than equipping the model with appropriate off-road-focused features. But despite that, it remains one of the best small hybrid SUVs you can get. Why? Because you get good fuel economy numbers, comfortable car-like driving dynamics, and standard all-wheel drive.
- Engine- The hybrid variant is powered by a 2-liter four-cylinder engine, paired with two electric motors. The combined output is 148 hp.
- Fuel economy- The Crosstrek Hybrid offers a fuel economy of 35 mpg combined or 90 MPGe.
- Cargo space- The available base cargo area is 20.8 cubic feet.
- Towing capacity- It can tow up to 1000 pounds.
2021 Lexus UX 250h [Best in Fuel-Efficiency]
Price: $36,275, Row-seating: 2-row
Why We Picked It: When you’re seeking luxury in a small hybrid SUV, the 2021 Lexus UX 250h is a great option. It has an adjustable cargo board that allows you to make the most out of the area available behind the rear seat. All-wheel drive comes as standard. The cabin is characterized by upscale materials, comfy passenger space, and luxurious features such as power-adjustable seats and dual-zone climate control.
- Engine- It’s powered by a 2-liter inline-four hybrid engine, with an output of 181 hp.
- Fuel economy- It offers 41/38/39 mpg city/highway/combined.
- Cargo space- The available cargo space is 21.7 cubic feet.
- Towing capacity- It can maximum tow up to 3605 pounds.
2021 Honda CR-V EX Hybrid [Best in Versatility]
Price: $31,785, Row-seating: 2-row
Why We Picked It: Honda is known for its versatile line of vehicles, and the 2021 Honda CR-V EX Hybrid is no exception. Be it a well-equipped roomy cabin, great driving dynamics, or excellent fuel efficiency– this family-oriented small hybrid SUV offers everything you wish for in a car, and so much more. There are also a host of safety features and driver-assist features available as standard.
- Engine- It’s powered by a 2-liter four-cylinder engine, paired with two electric motors. The combined output is 212 hp.
- Fuel economy- The fuel economy numbers are 40/35 mpg city/highway.
- Cargo space- The available cargo space is 33.2 cubic feet.
- Towing capacity- Maximum towing capacity is 1500 pounds.
2023 Kia Sportage Plug-in Hybrid [Best in Spaciousness]
Price: $27,205, Row-seating: 2-row
Why We Picked It: Kia Sportage is soon to launch a plug-in hybrid variant in 2023, with a bigger cabin and cargo area. Its distinct exterior has divided Kia fans into two separate groups, one that adores the unusual wild look, and another that doesn’t appreciate it. As for infotainment, the automaker has been generous enough to include touch-sensitive controls, a wireless charger, and a Wi-Fi hotspot.
- Engine- The hybrid trim is powered by a 1.6-liter turbocharged four-cylinder engine paired with an electric motor, producing 226 hp. The PHEV variant gets the same engine, but it’s equipped with a more potent electric motor and battery pack.
- Fuel economy- The base engine with FWD is expected to offer 25/32 mpg city/highway, and 23/28 mpg city/highway with AWD. The fuel economy number for the hybrid variant is yet to be announced. The PHEV model is said to have an electric-only range of 32 miles.
- Cargo space- The base cargo area is 40 cubic feet.
- Towing capacity- It can tow up to 2000 pounds.
2021 Ford Escape Hybrid [Best for Family]
Price: $26,800, Row-seating: 2-row
Why We Picked It: In spite of being a champion of off-road, Ford caters to the family crowd with this small hybrid SUV. The posh cabin inside and the handsomely stylized exterior make it truly iconic, that too within a budget. However, if you go with the base models, be ready to be disappointed because the most premium features are reserved for the upper trims.
- Engine- The Ford Escape hybrid is powered by a 2.5-liter four-cylinder engine, paired with two electric motors. The output generated is 221 hp.
- Fuel economy- The HEV variant makes 44/37 mpg city/highway, while the plug-in variant makes 105 MPGe.
- Cargo space- There is 37.5 cubic feet available for cargo.
- Towing capacity- The maximum towing capacity is 3498 pounds.
2022 Hyundai Tucson Hybrid [Best in Design]
Price: $26,195, Row-seating: 2-row
Why We Picked It: The brand-new eye-catching design of the 2022 Hyundai Tucson stirred up a revolution in the small SUV segment, and to add to its already long list of impressive features, Hyundai also introduced hybrid and PHEV variants. Both the hybrid and plug-in hybrid SUVs get all-wheel drive as standard, offer agile handling, noise-free driving, and a luxurious riding experience.
- Engine- The hybrid and plug-in variants are powered by a 1.6-liter four-cylinder engine and an electric motor, generating 227 hp.
- Fuel economy- Hybrid model offers a fuel economy of 38 mpg for both city and highway, while the plug-in hybrid offers 80 MPGe.
- Cargo space- The available cargo space is 41.2 cubic feet.
- Towing capacity- It can tow up to 2000 pounds.
Why choose a Small Hybrid SUV overall?
When your priority is a small-sized SUV but at the same time, you don’t want to let go of electrification, the best hybrid SUV option for you is a small one. But like most cars, this segment also has some advantages and disadvantages that you should weigh before making a decision.
Let’s take a quick look of Small Hybrid SUVs:
Which brand to choose?
Out of so many brands available, it can be intimidating to choose one brand. To make the decision-making process seamless for you, we have divided the most popular small SUV brands into the following.
According to price
If you have a strict budget, you can consider brands like Hyundai, Ford, Kia, or Honda. But for those looking for a luxury vehicle, Lexus or Land Rover can be a good option.
- 2022 Hyundai Tucson Hybrid
- 2021 Ford Escape Hybrid
- 2023 Kia Sportage Plug-in Hybrid
According to MPG
If you go by fuel economy, Lexus offers some excellent numbers in the luxury segment. Among generalist small SUV makers, you could go with Ford or Honda.
Are small SUV hybrids worth buying?
If your primary focus is on the hybrid powertrain and you don’t care much about performance and driving dynamics, small hybrid SUVs can be a good option to consider. But if you’re seeking driving thrills, you might want to look at other segments.
1. Which small Suv hybrid gets the best gas mileage?
2. What is the most reliable small Hybrid SUV?
3. Which small hybrid is best?
Honda CR-V EX Hybrid is the best small hybrid, as it offers a well-equipped cabin, great fuel economy, comfortable rides, all within a more or less affordable price range.