Table of Contents
In many regions, it is safe to say that hybrid technologies have already become mainstream. Since they only represent a partial change, they are neither complex to implement nor too expensive to purchase and keep. Nowadays, they are a resource used by many automakers to make larger cars more fuel-efficient, especially the fashionable SUVs because of their large dimensions and weight.
This article aims at a particular niche of that market trend: it lists the best midsize hybrid SUV 2022. In other words, SUV models which are larger than compact ones while still smaller and lighter than the standard ones. Automakers have experienced great improvements in their fuel consumption by adopting the hybrid technology on them whether of the self-charging or the plug-in hybrid version.
Now, while it is important to keep in mind mileage-related information, we all know that the choice of an SUV model depends on many other variables as well. Because of that, this list considers ten of them the best midsize SUV hybrid ones for other specific reasons as well, such as luxury, internal room, performance, and off-road capabilities. Check out what is the field of expertise of each one!
Best at Value: 2022 Hyundai Santa Fe Hybrid
Price: $35,145, Type: 3-row
Why We Picked It: In the 2000s, the very first Santa Fe helped establish Hyundai in the realm of SUVs around the world. As time passed, its success forced it to offer so many options of trim and seats that it was gradually losing its essence. Now that the current iteration leaves some of those roles to the Tucson and the Palisade, it was set free to become one of the best plug-in hybrid midsize SUVs.
2022 Hyundai Santa Fe Hybrid Specs
- Engine: The self-charging hybrid version pairs a turbocharged, four-cylinder 1.6L engine to an electric motor to generate 225 hp of power and 195 lb-ft of torque. The plug-in hybrid uses the same thermal engine and a specific electric motor and makes 260 hp and 224 lb-ft.
- Fuel economy: At its self-charging hybrid variation, the 2022 Hyundai Santa Fe makes 36 mpg in the city, 31 mpg on the highway and 34 mpg combined. The plug-in hybrid setup is good for 33 mpg combined and has an electric equivalency of 76 MPGe.
- Cargo capacity: The base volume of 36.4 ft³ can be increased to 72.1 ft³ by folding down the second row of seats.
Best at Rationality: 2022 Toyota Highlander Hybrid
Price: $40,270, Type: 3-row
Toyota Highlander Hybrid Specs
- Engine: Toyota’s famous setup of four-cylinder 2.5L engine plus electric motor appears here once again and offers 243 hp of power and 175 lb-ft of torque.
- Fuel economy: The self-charging hybrid powertrain helps the Highlander make 36 mpg in the city, 35 mpg on the highway, and 36 mpg combined.
- Cargo space: The base volume is of 16 ft³, but you can fold down the third row of seats so as to free 48.4 ft³, and the second row of seats as well to reach 84.3 ft³.
Best at Space: 2022 Ford Explorer Hybrid
Price: $51,000, Type: 3-row
2022 Ford Explorer Hybrid Specs
- Engine: The thermal engine is a 3.3L V6. It is paired to an electric motor to create a self-charging hybrid powertrain capable of 318 hp of power and 322 lb-ft of torque.
- Fuel economy: The 2022 Ford Explorer Hybrid makes 25 mpg in the city, 26 mpg on the highway, and 26 mpg combined.
- Cargo space: You have at least 18.2 ft³ available. Folding down the third row of seats takes that to 47.9 ft³ and doing the same to the second row as well increases it to 87.8 ft³.
Best Plug-in Hybrid: 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4xe
Price: $57,660, Type: 2-row
Jeep Grand Cherokee 4xe Specs
- Engine: This model uses a turbocharged, four-cylinder 2.0L engine combined to an electric motor to form a plug-in hybrid system good for 375 hp of power and 470 lb-ft of torque.
- Fuel economy: According to the EPA, you can expect the 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4xe to make 23 mpg combined and an electric equivalency of 56 MPGe.
- Cargo space: The standard trunk volume of 37.7 ft³ can be increased to 70.8 ft³ if you fold down the second row of seats.
Best Mild-hybrid: 2022 Audi Q7 55
Price: $62,295, Type: 3-row
Why We Picked It: While the other midsize SUVs on our hybrid model’s list are designed to attract all the spotlights to themselves, others are expected to quietly do their job and nothing else. The family-SUV design, the tech-savvy cabin, and the unimpressive powertrain put the Q7 in the second group. The 55’s mild hybrid system makes the gasoline engine more efficient without representing a full change to a hybrid car.
2022 Audi Q7 55 Specs
- Engine: This is a mild-hybrid model, so the actual source of movement is still the thermal engine, a turbocharged V6 3.0L good for 335 hp of power and 369 lb-ft of torque. It is aided by a 48-volt electric motor.
- Fuel economy: The 2022 Audi Q7 55 makes 18 mpg in the city, 23 mpg on the highway, and 20 mpg combined according to EPA estimates.
- Cargo space: If the base volume of 14.2 ft³ is too little for you, it is possible to increase it to 35.7 ft³ by folding down the third row of seats and to 69.6 ft³ by doing the same to the second row of seats at the same time.
Best at Off-road: 2022 Land Rover Discovery V6
Price: $64,400, Type: 3-row
2022 Land Rover Discovery V6 Specs
- Engine: The 2022 Land Rover Discovery uses a mild hybrid system. The actual source of power is a turbocharged 3.0L V6 engine capable of 355 hp of power and 369 lb-ft of torque.
- Fuel economy: According to the EPA, the model makes 18 mpg in the city, 24 mpg on the highway, and 21 mpg combined. The gasoline engine is assisted by a 48V electric motor.
- Cargo space: The tiny volume of 9.1 ft³ can be increased to 45 ft³ if you choose not to use the third row of seats. If you only leave the front row up, you will get a total of 74.3 ft³.
Best at Refinement: 2022 BMW X5 xDrive45e
Price: $64,695, Type: 3-row
2022 BMW X5 xDrive45e Specs
- Engine: The 2022 BMW X5 xDrive45e uses a plug-in hybrid setup made of an electric motor paired to a turbocharged, six-cylinder 3.0L engine. It offers 389 hp of power and 443 lb-ft of torque.
- Fuel economy: According to EPA estimates, this model makes 20 mpg combined and offers an electric equivalency of 50 MPGe.
- Cargo space: The base volume of 33.1 ft³ can be increased to 72.3 ft³ by folding down the second row of seats.
Best at Safety: 2022 Volvo XC90 Recharge
Price: $65,895, Type: 3-row
Why We Picked It: The pioneer at Volvo’s SUV line may be waiting for an all-new generation right now, which can even come with another name, but that does not make it any less worthy of a spot among the best midsize SUV hybrid models. If you do not care about sharp dynamic behavior or the smoothest of the rides, you will be set free to have your breath taken away by its tasteful design and extensive equipment package.
2022 Volvo XC90 Recharge Specs
- Engine: The 2022 Volvo XC90 Recharge uses a plug-in hybrid powertrain made by electric motors plus a turbocharged, four-cylinder 2.0L engine and offers 400 hp of power and 472 lb-ft of torque.
- Fuel economy: According to the EPA, you can make 27 mpg combined in this model and an electric equivalency of 55 MPGe.
- Cargo space: Volvo’s only three-row SUV has a base volume of 11.2 ft³ which goes to 34.1 ft³ when the third seat row is folded down and to 64.1 ft³ with the second one down as well.
Best at Performance: 2022 Porsche Cayenne E-Hybrid
Price: $84,650, Type: 2-row
2022 Porsche Cayenne E-Hybrid Specs
- Engine: The 2022 Porsche Cayenne E-Hybrid pairs a twin-turbocharged, six-cylinder 2.9L engine to an electric powertrain to reach a combined 434 hp of power and 405 lb-ft of torque.
- Fuel economy: The model’s sporty character takes a toll here: 16 mpg in the city, 22 mpg on the highway and 18 mpg combined, according to EPA estimates.
- Cargo space: If you need more room than the base 27.2 ft³, you can fold down the second row of seats to reach a total of 60.3 ft³.
Best Newcomer: 2022 Mazda CX-60
Price: TBD, Type: 2-row
2022 Mazda CX-60 Specs
- Engine: The upcoming model will be equipped with a four-cylinder 2.5L engine plus an electric motor in order to generate a combined 323 hp of power and 369 lb-ft of torque.
- Fuel economy: Official consumption figures have not been obtained yet. Mazda, however, claims that the 2023 CX-60 will have a pure EV range of 39 miles.
- Cargo space: This model will be considered a midsize SUV, so you can expect similar figures as those of key rivals when it comes to trunk space. North Americans will receive a derived model, CX-70, which is expected to be slightly larger.
Which Midsize Hybrid brand to buy in 2022?
To make things easier for you we have created a quick guide to help you decide which mid-size hybrid brand you should buy in 2022.
According to price
Hyundai and Kia currently offer the best midsize hybrid SUV 2022 from a value-oriented point of view. Both the Santa Fe and the Sorento offer the electrified option, whether self-charging or plug-in, at prices which do not represent a significant hike compared to their own ICE versions, which makes them quite interesting options in the segment.
Then again, considering that their companies also offer the Telluride and the Palisade on the upper end of the same market segment (albeit only with gasoline engines), it is important to notice that those options may not be the recommendable for people looking for as much space as possible – the Sorento’s third seat row is often criticized and the Santa Fe does not even have one.
According to MPG consumption
Toyota’s vast experience with hybrid powertrain, largely acquired from selling the Prius for so long, helps make the latest Highlander surprisingly fuel-efficient – and, naturally, one of the best midsize SUV hybrid models. It is a solid contender among its direct competitors, although its rational profile may bore customers who are more strongly moved by style, technology and/or performance.
While the Hyundai Santa Fe is the runner-up of this list considering fuel efficiency, it reached the current generation not so long ago. That allows us to affirm that it is up to date with the latest technologies regarding infotainment and safety. Besides that, it offers more seductive design than that of the Highlander and allows you to enjoy luxury trim through the all-new Calligraphy version.
|Model Name||Engine||Output||Fuel Economy||Price|
|Hyundai SantaFe||1.6T I4||225||195||36||31||34||$35,145|
|Toyota Highlander||2.5 I6||243||175||36||35||36||$40,270|
|Ford Explorer||3.3 V6||318||322||25||26||26||$51,000|
|Jeep Grand Cherokee||2.0T I4||375||470||N/A||N/A||23||$57,660|
|Audi Q7||3.0 I6||335||369||18||23||20||$62,295|
|Land Rover Discovery||3.0T I6||355||369||18||24||21||$64,400|
|BMW X5||3.0T I6||389||443||N/A||N/A||20||$64,695|
|Volvo XC90||2.0T I4||400||472||N/A||N/A||27||$65,895|
|Porsche Cayenne||3.0T I6||455||516||N/A||N/A||21||$84,650|
|Mazda CX-60||2.5 I4||323||369||N/A||N/A||N/A||TBD|
In the “Engine” row, the letter “T” represents a turbocharged engine, the “I” represents the inline cylinder layout, and the “V” represents the “V” cylinder layout. Some fuel efficiency figures are not available from the EPA estimates at the moment.
It is also important to inform that the base prices mentioned in this article refer to the 2022 version of the cheapest hybrid option available for each of those car models.