Plug-in hybrid SUVs have immense advantages in today’s world, as they help lower down emissions, provide high fuel efficiency, good electric-only range, and of course, are eco-friendly to some extent. And for buyers with a high budget, the best choice is a luxury plug-in hybrid.
Long gone is the time when luxury meant arrogant ostentation. Cars of all segments have become more rational in terms of size, trim, and powertrain to keep satisfying their users while no longer harming the environment. This rationale is the foundation of the best luxury plug-in hybrid SUV models we present here.
So what is the best SUV of the plug-in hybrid type of SUVs? We did the research! Below are the top 10 luxury plug-in PHEVs, ranked according to prices.
Top 10 Best Luxury Plug-In Hybrid SUVs
- 2022 Lincoln Corsair Grand Touring
- Volvo XC60 Recharge
- Audi Q5 55 TFSI e
- Lexus NX450h+
- Jeep Grand Cherokee 4xe
- BMW X5 xDrive45e
- Volvo XC90 Recharge
- Lincoln Aviator Grand Touring
- Porsche Cayenne E-Hybrid
- Land Rover Range Rover P440e
Why We Picked It: This list finishes with an upcoming plug-in hybrid SUV which is simply the global reference in its segment. Nevertheless, Land Rover is making you choose between luxury and fuel efficiency: the PHEV powertrain is only available with the base trim level.
- Engine: Turbocharged 3.0L I6 + electric motor. Combined power of 434 hp and torque of 406 lb-ft.
- Fuel economy: 21 mpg combined; 50 MPGe; a fully electric range of 48 miles.
- Cargo: 83.5 ft³ behind the front seat row; 40.7 ft³ behind the rear seat row.
- Towing capacity: 5511 lb.
Feature Highlights: The all-new generation debuted in 2022 but was sold along with some units of the previous one. Land Rover started selling only the new one in 2023 and started offering the plug-in hybrid version, named P440e.
2. 2022 Porsche Cayenne e-Hybrid
Type: Midsize, 2-row; Price: $84,650
Why We Picked It: Any list of top plug-in hybrid SUVs could never overlook the sportiest of them all. The Cayenne manages to pair the impressive dynamics that made it famous with a highly efficient hybrid powertrain to become simply irresistible.
- Engine: Turbocharged 3.0L I6 + electric motor. Combined power of 455 hp and torque of 516 lb-ft.
- Fuel economy: 21 mpg combined; 46 MPGe; a fully electric range of 13 miles.
- Cargo: 56.8 ft³ behind the front seat row; 22.7 ft³ behind the rear seat row.
- Towing capacity: up to 7700 lb.
Feature Highlights: The infotainment system was thoroughly updated and now features Android Auto connectivity, a clearer navigation system, and over-the-air technology for updates, among other functions. There is also a Platinum Edition appearance package offered as an option.
3. 2022 Lincoln Aviator Grand Touring
Type: Large, 3-row; Price: $69,875
Why We Picked It: If you want your AWD plug-in hybrid SUV to impress even when stopped, the Aviator’s handsome exterior and plush cabin make it an excellent choice.
- Engine: Turbocharged 3.0L V6 + electric motor. Combined power of 494 hp and torque of 690 lb-ft.
- Fuel economy: 23 mpg combined; 56 MPGe; fully electric range of 21 miles.
- Cargo: 77.7 ft³ behind the front seat row; 41.8 ft³ behind the middle seat row; 18.3 ft³ behind the rear seat row.
- Towing capacity: 5600 lb.
Feature highlights: The line had a small price decrease for 2022. The Grand Touring also gets two new colors and an optional Jet package to replace the chrome external trim for black parts.
4. 2022 Volvo XC90 Recharge
Type: Midsize, 3-row; Price: $65,895
Why We Picked It: There is more to the XC90 besides its stunning design and awesome equipment package. It is one of the best plug-in electric SUV models because of its vigorous performance and high fuel efficiency.
- Engine: Turbocharged 2.0L + electric motor. Combined power of 400 hp and torque of 472 lb-ft.
- Fuel economy: 27 mpg combined; 55 MPGe; a fully electric range of 18 miles.
- Cargo: 64.1 ft³ behind the front seat row; 34.1 ft³ behind the middle seat row; 11.2 ft³ behind the rear seat row.
- Towing capacity: 5000 lb.
Feature Highlights: While the whole lineup had several tweaks on the equipment list for 2022, the Recharge version received a more powerful electric motor and a larger battery pack, which took its electric range to 35 miles.
5. 2022 BMW X5 xDrive45e
Type: Midsize, 3-row; Price: $64,695
Why We Picked It: Versatility makes the X5 one of the best luxury plug-in hybrid SUVs. The 45e builds on the 40i’s solid performance and adds better fuel efficiency and an electric range good enough for everyday use.
- Engine: Turbocharged 3.0L I6 + electric motor. Combined power of 389 hp and torque of 443 lb-ft.
- Fuel economy: 20 mpg combined; 50 MPGe; a fully electric range of 31 miles.
- Cargo: 72.3 ft³ behind the front seat row; 33.1 ft³ behind the rear seat row.
- Towing capacity: 5952 lb.
Feature Highlights: The whole line has lost the wireless charging pad. There are also two new body colors and the possibility to order glass shift knob and control buttons as an independent option.
6. 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4xe
Type: Midsize, 2-row; Price: $57,660
- Engine: Turbocharged 2.0L I4 + two electric motors. Combined power of 375 hp and torque of 470 lb-ft.
- Fuel economy: 23 mpg combined, 60 MPGe, fully electric range of 25 miles.
- Cargo: 70.8 ft³ behind the front seat row; 37.7 ft³ behind the rear seat row.
- Towing capacity: 3500 lb (up to 6000 lb in selected trims).
Feature Highlights: The Grand Cherokee was completely renewed. The first-ever L came in 2021 while the regular one arrived in 2022. The PHEV powertrain is a key highlight of the new generation.
7. 2022 Lexus NX450h+
Type: Compact, 2-row; Price: $56,725
- Engine: 2.5L I4 + two electric motors. Combined power of 304 hp and torque of 176 lb-ft.
- Fuel economy: 36 mpg combined; 84 MPGe; a fully electric range of 39 miles.
- Cargo: 46.9 ft³ behind the front seat row; 22.7 ft³ behind the rear seat row.
- Towing capacity: 2000 lb.
Feature Highlights: The Lexus NX was completely renewed for 2022. In fact, the plug-in hybrid option is the main highlight of the new generation.
8. 2022 Audi Q5 55 TFSI e
Type: Compact, 2-row; Price: $56,595
- Engine: Turbocharged 2.0L I4 + electric motor. Combined power of 362 hp and torque of 369 lb-ft.
- Fuel economy: 26 mpg combined; 61 MPGe; a fully electric range of 23 miles.
- Cargo: 54.1 ft³ behind the front seat row; 25.9 ft³ behind the rear seat row.
- Towing capacity: 2000 lb.
Feature highlights: The S Line appearance package was made standard as well as sport seats. There are also new 18” wheels and a power-adjustable steering column. The Black Optics package is a new option.
9. 2022 Volvo XC60 Recharge
Type: Compact, 2-row; Price: $55,345
- Engine: Turbocharged 2.0L I4 + two electric motors. Combined power of 400 hp and torque of 472 lb-ft.
- Fuel economy: 25 mpg combined; 57 MPGe; a fully electric range of 35 miles.
- Cargo: 65.5 ft³ behind the front seat row; 16.5 ft³ behind the rear seat row.
- Towing capacity: 3500 lb.
Feature highlights: The Recharge gets a new battery pack for 2022, which extends its EV range to 35 miles, and replaces the Sensus infotainment system with a Google Android-based one. There are also styling tweaks and upgrades to the driver assists.
10. 2022 Lincoln Corsair Grand Touring
Type: Compact, 2-row; Price: $52,790
- Engine: 2.5L I4 + electric motor. Combined power is 266 hp; there is no official information about torque.
- Fuel economy: 33 mpg combined; 78 MPGe; a fully electric range of 25 miles.
- Cargo: 57.6 ft³ behind the front seat row and 27.6 ft³ behind the rear seat row.
- Towing capacity: 2000 lb.
Feature Highlights: The Grand Touring version receives a head-up display and a 13-speaker Revel audio system and upgrades the Elements Technology package with more items. The color palette was revised as well.
Best luxury plug-in hybrid SUVs Comparison
|SUV name||Price||Base engine||MPG||MPGe||EV range||NHTSA Rating||Top features|
|Lincoln Corsair Grand Touring||$52,790||2.5L engine + one electric motor||33||78||25||5 stars||
|Volvo XC60 Recharge||$55,345||Turbo 2.0L + two electric motors||35||57||36||5 stars||
|Audi Q5 55 TFSI e||$56,595||Turbo 2.0L + one electric motor||26||61||23||5 Stars||
|Lexus NX450h+||$56,725||2.5L engine + two electric motors||36||84||39||N/A||
|Jeep Grand Cherokee 4xe||$57,660||Turbo 2.0L + one electric motor||23||60||25||N/A||
|BMW X5 xDrive45e||$64,695||Turbo 3.0L + one electric motor||20||50||31||4 stars||
|Volvo XC90 Recharge||$65,895||Turbo 2.0L + one electric motor||27||55||18||5 stars||
|Lincoln Aviator Grand Touring||$69,875||Twin-turbo 3.0L + one electric motor||23||56||21||5 stars||
|Porsche Cayenne E-Hybrid||$84,650||Turbo 3.0L + one electric motor||21||46||13||N/A||
|Land Rover Range Rover P440e||$106,250||Turbo 3.0L + one electric motor||21||50||48||N/A||
Why consider a luxury plug-in hybrid SUV?
If range anxiety is stopping you from buying an electric vehicle, a plug-in hybrid is the best alternative. For luxury car aficionados, high-end PHEVs make a lot of sense because of their convenience, range, and efficiency. If you’re still on the fence about purchasing a luxury PHEV, here are some of the advantages you must consider:
- Premium feel: These SUVs are, hands down, full of luxurious features. From the dashboard, infotainment, seats, to storage, everything offers a premium look and feel. The prices are on the higher end, but you’ll also be greeted with upscale features such as heated seats, power-adjustable driver’s seat, upgraded display and music, and advanced connectivity, based on the model you choose.
- Environmentally-friendly: Plug-in hybrid SUVs have become highly popular now because they produce less emissions. PHEVs utilize both fuel and electricity, so they are considered to be more environmentally friendly than fuel-driven regular cars. In today’s age, it’s a good decision to invest in PHEVs, because electrification has become somewhat mainstream, and it will continue to become more and more widespread in the coming years.
- Low fuel cost: With the rising price of fuel, daily commutes have become more expensive than ever. At this moment, using a PHEV is a great way to bring down your vehicle’s fuel consumption. As luxury plug-in hybrid SUVs run on both electricity and fuel, you will save a considerable amount annually on fuel expenses.
- Good fuel economy: The moment a car gets some form of electrification, the fuel economy improves. A luxury plug-in hybrid SUV offers good fuel economy numbers, however, the exact mileage varies from one vehicle to another. While large plug-in hybrid luxury SUVs cannot give great mileage, the compact and midsize ones do a decent job.
What are the different types of luxury plug-in hybrid SUVs?
Luxury plug-in hybrid SUVs can be classified into multiple types, including subcompact, compact, midsize, and full-size. Among all of them, compact and midsize luxury PHEVs are the bestsellers, as they offer a blend of practicality, quality handling, fuel economy, sufficient interior space, and upscale features.
What is the difference between hybrid and plug-in SUVs?
Wondering how hybrid SUVs are different from plug-in hybrid SUVs? Check out this chart to understand their basic distinctions: