In the past decade, the demand for SUVs has gone up exponentially, with over 30.7 million units sold in 2020 alone. To meet the rising demands, automakers have obliged by pushing out multiple models every year. Such a situation has inflated the market with too many options, leaving buyers confused.
If you’re looking for the best suv for family, the following list shows you the top options for 2021 and 2022. Our list of vehicles covers subcompact, compact, midsize, and full-size SUVs from both generalist and luxury segments.
The ideal family SUV has to meet some specific criteria. For example, if you have a big family, you should preferably go for a 3-row midsize or a full-size SUV.hould also keep in mind that you need large cargo space to accommodate all the luggage of your family. Last t least, the vehicle must be equipped with sufficient safety features to har back.
Keepinof these factors in mind, we have finalized these 10 family SUVs. Which one are you going to choose?
1. 2021 Dacia Duster
Type: 2-row, Price: $14,742 (£10,995), Class: Generalist Subcompact
Why We Picked It: This is the best affordable SUV for family if you absolutely have to focus on the word “affordable” – keep in mind that Dacia is Renault’s low-cost branch by definition. Handsome style, available all-wheel drive, and a rather large cabin make the Dacia offer a lot of content for what it costs but, since it costs so little, you may be underserved even for its market category’s standards.
2021 Dacia Duster Specs
- Engine– There are two gasoline-burning engines, one that runs on diesel, and one option that stands out in the crowd: a bi-fuel powertrain that runs either on gasoline or LPG.
- Safety– Basic hardware is standard, such as ABS and airbags; electronic assists are scarce.
- Cargo– The standard volume of 15.7 ft³ becomes 57.3 ft³ with the rear seats folded down.
2. 2022 Hyundai Tucson
Type: 2-row, Price: $26,175, Class: Generalist Compact
Why We Picked It: Who said family SUVs cannot be exciting? The all-new generation of Hyundai Tucson is packed with niceties to stand out in such a fierce category: cutting-edge electronics, a long list of standard safety items, efficient powertrain options, and the best warranty plan of its market segment. As if all that was not enough, that futuristic exterior design will surely turn all the heads wherever you take it.
2022 Hyundai Tucson Specs
- Engine: The standard option is a four-cylinder 2.5-liter. If you prefer, you can also upgrade it with a turbocharged 1.6-liter which allows you to choose between regular or plug-in hybrid.
- Safety: Many electronic assist items as standard plus optional semi-autonomous features.
- Cargo: 39 cubic feet provide more room than the outgoing model without losing practicality.
3. 2022 Volvo XC40
Type: 2-row, Price: $35,195, Class: Luxury Subcompact
Why We Picked It: This best small SUV for family combines trendy style with a surprisingly practical interior for five occupants. While the powertrain is not the most fuel-efficient of its category, there are electrified options available. Besides, the equipment list has enough safety items to live up to its brand. This is the best interpretation one could think of “a small version of Volvo’s recent SUVs”.
2022 Volvo XC40 Specs
- Engine: Depending on the region where you buy the XC40, there are several combustion, plug-in hybrid, and electric options.
- Safety: The XC40 lives up to Volvo’s reputation of safety even at the standard trim level.
- Cargo: It has 21 cubic feet of cargo space. There is good trim quality and multiple small storage areas dispersed across the interior.
4. 2021 SEAT Tarraco
Type: 3-row, Price: £30,785 ($41,276), Class: Generalist Midsize
Why We Picked It: Respectively, Skoda and SEAT have become rational and emotional alter-egos to the Volkswagen brand. While the Kodiaq is more practical, the Tarraco is the best family SUV for being balanced: still spacious, efficient, and affordable but also more stylish and engaging to drive. In other words, it manages to be pleasant to children and adult passengers as well as to the driver.
2021 SEAT Tarraco Specs
- Engine: The Tarraco offers turbocharged 1.5L and 2.0L units considering gasoline, and two turbodiesel options of a 2.0L unit. Interestingly, both pairs are good for 148 hp and 187 hp.
- Safety: The Tarraco has many driver-assist items, but only some of them come as standard.
- Cargo: 24.7 ft³ folding down the third seat row and 70.8 ft³ with the second one folded too.
5. 2021 Land Rover Discovery Sport
Type: 3-row, Price: $42,950, Class: Luxury Compact
Source: Land Rover
Why We Picked It: This one truly lives up to its brand name, because Land Rover as an automaker is known to prioritize comfort and luxuriousness in every vehicle it creates. The interior looks stylish and practical, perfectly balanced by a sturdy body and off-roading abilities. The seating area is spacious enough, but you may also opt for a third row if needed. If you plan to make some adventurous trips with your family, this one is a good choice.
2021 Land Rover Discovery Sport Specs
- Engine- Discovery Sport is powered by a turbocharged four-cylinder engine producing 246 hp.
- Safety- Automated emergency braking, lane departure warning, forward collision detection, and adaptive cruise control are available as standard.
- Cargo- Available cargo space of 28 ft³, located behind the second row.
6. 2021 Audi Q5
Type: 2-row, Price: $44,395, Class: Luxury Compact
Why We Picked It: Well-rounded features are what make the best luxury SUV for family. Design, equipment, space, powertrain– there are no big complaints to make. On the other hand, this also means that the Q5 does not have much emotional appeal regarding performance or handling – that is why this generation came with a coupé-shaped version, named Sportback, for the very first time.
2021 Audi Q5 Specs
- Engine: In North America, the standard powertrain is a turbocharged four-cylinder, which makes 261 hp, and there is an optional plug-in hybrid that reaches a combined 362 hp.
- Safety: Driver-assist technology is standard; the model got five stars from the NHTSA test.
- Cargo: The available cargo space of 26 ft³ is not the largest, but the 40/20/40 rear seat makes it highly usable.
7. 2021 Genesis GV80
Type: 3-row, Price: $49,945, Class: Luxury Midsize
Why We Picked It: A tried-and-true recipe to help a new luxury brand make its name. The GV80 is a typical midsize family SUV with all that it entails: handsome design, elegant cabin, long equipment list, and efficient engines. However, there are no thrills either: the rear room is tight, there are no electrified versions, and the only performance-focused upgrade is a still average six-cylinder engine. If you’re looking for a luxury segment family vehicle, this one is overall a good pick.
2021 Genesis GV80 Specs
- Engine: The base turbocharged, four-cylinder 2.5L unit makes 300 hp and can be upgraded with a twin-turbocharged, six-cylinder 3.5-liter unit which increases that figure to 375 hp.
- Safety: The standard equipment list is quite long and includes semi-autonomous features.
- Cargo: There is a standard cargo area of 12 ft³, but it is recommended to fold down the third seat row.
8. 2022 Jeep Wagoneer
Type: 3-row, Price: $70,845, Class: Generalist Full-size
Why We Picked It: Jeep wanted to revive a traditional family cruiser and so it delivered the brand new Wagoneer. The Wagoneer is the best SUV for family in the generalist market because it has a gigantic cabin packed with many comfort, safety, and entertainment items, and moves all that with a powerful 5.7L V8. Then again, it is only great assuming that the typical buyer of this category is not concerned with fuel efficiency.
2022 Jeep Wagoneer Specs
- Engine: The only option available so far is the 5.7L V8 Hemi engine which makes 392 hp. It features a mild hybrid system and occasional cylinder deactivation to help with fuel efficiency.
- Safety: Driving assists such as forward collision warning, auto emergency braking, and blind spot monitoring are standard. The new Wagoneer has not been crash-tested yet.
- Cargo: The cargo space of 27 ft³ is already great but can be increased by folding down the third seat row.
9. 2021 Cadillac Escalade
Type: 3-row, Price: $77,790 (£10,995) Class: Luxury Full-Size
Why We Picked It: Cadillac– the name is enough to evoke admiration and a sense of luxury. The 2021 Escalade is undoubtedly the best luxury suv for family, as it unifies comfort and world-class tech with remarkable performance. Even though it falls behind in the fuel economy department, opting for the turbo-diesel engine does make the situation better. The interior looks upscale, with enough space for the third-row passenger to enjoy their ride.
2021 Cadillac Escalade Specs
- Engine- Cadillac Escalade is powered by a 6.2-liter engine producing 420 hp, with an optional inline-six 3-liter turbo diesel engine. Available in both rear-wheel drive and all-wheel-drive variants.
- Safety- Cadillac’s flagship vehicle is equipped with standard automated emergency braking, lane-departure warning, and lane-keep assist.
- Cargo- Available cargo space is 43 ft³.
10. 2022 Mercedes-Benz GLS-Class
Type: 3-row, Price: $78,250, Class: Luxury Full-size
Why We Picked It: While the AMG and Maybach variations are great to attract attention, the base model turns out to be the best luxury SUV for family. Plenty of space for six or seven, vigorous engine, refined dynamics, excellent equipment list– almost everything is in favor of this new Mercedes-Benz SUV. The base price might not be the friendliest, but it surely rewards you with a premium experience whether you are in the driver’s seat or enjoying the ride.
2022 Mercedes-Benz GLS-Class Specs
- Engine: The only option available for the regular GLS-Class is the turbocharged, six-cylinder 3.0L good for 362 hp and uses a mild hybrid system. The V8 option has been allegedly dropped.
- Safety: Typical driver-assists are standard, but semi-autonomous driving features cost extra.
- Cargo: The standard cargo space of 17 ft³ can be increased by folding down the third and second seat rows.
Full Mercedes-Benz GLS-Class Review Here
What are the different types of family SUVs?
It’s a prerequisite for a family SUV to be spacious, safe, and comfortable. Emphasis on performance is not so important as is the ride quality and handling. Especially for families with children, having some extra interior space is always a priority. Moreover, when you’re traveling somewhere with family, you can expect to have more luggage than usual, so it makes sense to have access to a roomy cargo space.
While there is no strict sub-category of family SUVs, they can be of different types, ranging from compact, midsize, to full-size SUVs. Among these classes, you can go for either a generalist vehicle (affordable and practical) or a luxury one if your budget allows.
How do we rank these best SUVs for families?
After analyzing the present automotive market, we listed down the SUVs that are practical, safe for daily commute as well as long trips, and do not compromise on fuel economy. We took into account both economical and luxury vehicles and included everything from a 2-row small SUV to a 3-row full-size.
Then we chose the top 10 from the list of vehicles and arranged them from lowest to highest order of prices so that it’s easy to pick an SUV that meets your budget and requirements.
1. Which SUV car is best for a family?
Jeep Wagoneer is the best for a family.
2. What is the #1 safest SUV for family?
Land Rover Discovery Sport is the #1 safest SUV for family. (5-star NCAP rating)
3. What is the #1 ranked midsize SUV for a family?
Genesis GV80 is the #1 midsize luxury SUV for a family.