For big families or large groups of friends, 7 seat SUVs are always the top choice. Be it midsize or full-size, these SUVs are characterized by their large dimension and three-row cabin layout. These are particularly suited for families with children, as you get plenty of space to have a comfortable ride.
If you’re looking for the best-rated 7 passenger SUV, you’re at the right place. To help you get a detailed view of the currently available options, we have listed down the best 7 seat SUVs of 2021 and 2022, ranked from lowest to highest price. We have included both generalist and luxury vehicles in the list, to make sure you find something for every budget. All of the vehicles mentioned here have a seating capacity of 7 to 8 people, enough boot space, and offer reliable performance.
Table of Contents
#1: 2022 Volkswagen Tiguan
Class: Compact generalist, Price: $27,490
Why We Picked It: The German interpretation of such a competitive SUV model handles well and is quite handsome but could be quicker and better equipped. The available third seat row drastically reduces trunk room but offers plenty of space for two occupants – a rarity among compact SUVs.
2022 Volkswagen Tiguan Specs
- Engine: The best 7 passenger SUV of its category only offers a turbocharged, four-cylinder 2.0-liter unit good for 184 hp of power and 221 lb-ft of torque.
- Fuel economy: According to EPA estimates, the base front-wheel drive version makes 23 mpg in the city and 30 mpg on the highway. Opting for the AWD takes away 1 mpg of each figure and choosing the SEL R-Line version further reduces 1 mpg off each.
- Cargo space: The Tiguan offers a base volume of 12 cubic feet, which can be increased by folding down the third and the second rows of seats.
#2: 2021 Volkswagen Atlas
Class: Midsize generalist, Price: $32,565
Why We Picked It: This is yet another 7 passenger SUV that successfully made it to our list. The biggest advantage of the 2021 Volkswagen Atlas is of course is the large passenger area of 155 cubic feet. This midsize SUV also impresses car enthusiasts with its standard list of safety features, comfortable third-row seats, well-equipped infotainment system, and multiple powertrain options.
2021 Volkswagen Atlas Specs
- Engine: The turbocharged 2-liter engine generates 235 hp, while the V-6 variant generates 276 hp.
- Fuel economy: The base engine offers 21 mpg and 24 mpg on city/highway, with a combined mpg of 22.
- Cargo space: The base cargo space is 21 cubic feet, but it can be further expanded by folding down the rear seats.
#3: 2021 Honda Pilot
Class: Large generalist, Price: $33,775
Why We Picked It: If you’re searching for the best AWD SUV 2021 that offers a 7 passenger seating arrangement, consider the Honda Pilot as a top choice. This minivan-esque large SUV may not have its styling game on point, but it does offer reliable performance, great towing capacity, and a powerful engine.
2021 Honda Pilot Specs
- Engine: The 3.5-liter V-6 engine generates 280 hp.
- Fuel economy: For the regular gasoline variant, the EPA-estimated fuel economy stands at 19 mpg/ 26 mpg city/highway, and combined 22 mpg.
- Cargo space: The available cargo space is 18.5 cubic feet, expandable up to 109.2 cubic feet.
#4: 2022 Hyundai Palisade
Class: Midsize generalist, Price: $34,375
2022 Hyundai Palisade Specs
- Engine: The Palisade’s only engine option is a 3.8-liter V6 good for 291 hp of power and 262 lb-ft of torque.
- Fuel economy: The front-wheel drive version is good for 19 mph in the city and 26 mpg on the highway. With all-wheel drive, the second figure drops to 24 mpg.
- Cargo space: The base volume of 18 cubic feet can be increased to 46 cubic feet by folding the third seat row and to 86 cubic feet by folding the second one too.
#5: 2022 Mercedes-Benz GLB-Class
Class: Subcompact luxury, Price: $39,650
2022 Mercedes-Benz GLB-Class Specs
- Engine: The best 7 passenger SUV among the compact luxury ones only has a turbocharged, four-cylinder 2.0L engine which makes 221 hp of power and 258 lb-ft of torque.
- Fuel economy: With front-wheel drive, the GLB makes 23 mpg in the city, 31 mpg on the highway, and 26 mpg combined. Opting for AWD lowers the highway mileage by 1 mpg.
- Cargo space: According to the specialized press, there is 20 cubic feet available with upright seats up to the second row and 62 cubic feet if you only leave the front row up.
#6: 2022 Lexus RX-L
Class: Compact luxury, Price: $48,150
2022 Lexus RX-L Specs
- Engine: The base version uses a 3.5-liter V6 good for 290 hp of power and 263 lb-ft of torque. The hybrid ones add two electric motors to reach higher combined figures.
- Fuel economy: The EPA estimates a city mileage of 18 mpg, a highway mileage of 25 mpg, and combined mileage of 21 mpg with the regular powertrain; the hybrid is more efficient.
- Cargo space: The minimal base volume of 6 cubic feet only becomes useful if you fold down at least the third seat row.
#7: 2021 Genesis GV80
Class: Midsize luxury, Price: $49,945
2021 Genesis GV80 Specs
- Engine: The 2021 Genesis GV80 comes with a 2.5-liter four-cylinder engine under the hood, generating 300 hp. You can also opt for a more powerful 3.5-liter V-6 engine producing 375 hp.
- Fuel economy: The AWD variant has a combined EPA-estimated fuel economy of 22 mpg; 21 mpg and 25 mpg for city and highway respectively. Upgrading to the V-6 engine lowered the city/ highway numbers to 18/23 mpg.
- Cargo space: Behind the rear seats, the available cargo space is 33.9 cubic feet. It can extend up to 84 cubic feet if you fold down the rear seats.
#8: 2021 Toyota Sequoia
Class: Large generalist, Price: $51,895
2021 Toyota Sequoia Specs
- Engine: The 5.7-liter V8 engine produces 381 hp, and this is the sole engine the vehicle runs on.
- Fuel economy: The estimated city/highway fuel economy stands at 13/ 17 mpg.
- Cargo space: The base cargo area of 18.9 cubic feet can be expanded to a maximum of 120.1 cubic feet.
#9: 2022 Volvo XC90
Class: Large luxury, Price: $ 51,995
2022 Volvo XC90 Specs
- Engine: There are different engine options available. The base 2-liter engine produces 250 hp, the T6 variant produces 316 hp, and the plug-in hybrid CX90 generates 455 hp.
- Fuel economy: The turbo engine has a fuel economy of 21 mpg and 30 mpg respectively, for city and highway.
- Cargo space: XC90 offers a cargo space of 15.8 cubic feet, which can expand further if you fold down the rear seats.
#10: 2021 Audi Q7
Class: Midsize luxury, Price: $56,045
2021 Audi Q7Specs
- Engine: The 3-liter V-6 turbo engine generates 335 hp, and the twin-turbo 4-liter V-8 engine generates 500 hp.
- Fuel economy: The 3-liter engine offers EPA-estimated fuel economy 18/23/20 mpg city/highway/combined.
- Cargo space: The available 14.2 cubic feet can be extended up to 69.6 cubic feet.
#11: 2022 Mercedes-Benz GLE-Class
Class: Midsize luxury, Price: $56,750
Why We Picked It: If your budget is on the higher side, you can consider the 2022 Mercedes-Benz GLE-Class as a viable option. We have included this luxury midsize SUV in our best 7 seat SUV list because of three main factors– the varied powertrain options, the huge passenger space, and the posh appearance.
2022 Mercedes-Benz GLE-ClassSpecs
- Engine: There are multiple engine options available. The turbocharged 3-liter generates 362 hp, another turbocharged and supercharged 3-liter generates 429 hp, and the 4-liter V-8 engine gives an output of 483 hp.
- Fuel economy: The three trim levels GLE350, GLE450, and GLE580 offer city/highway/combined fuel economy of 19/26/22 mpg, 21/26/23 mpg, and 17/22/19 mpg, respectively.
- Cargo space: The cargo area is 33.3 cubic feet, which is expandable if you’re not using the rear seats.
#12: 2022 BMW X5
Class: Midsize luxury, Price: $60,395
2022 BMW X5 Specs
- Engine: the base model uses a turbocharged, inline-six, 3.0L engine good for 335 hp. The plug-in version adds an electric motor to reach a combined output of 389 hp. The sporty M50i uses a twin-turbocharged, 4.0L V8 to make 523 hp. The sportier X5 M uses the same engine to reach 600 hp.
- Fuel economy: Among its inline-six, V8, and plug-in hybrid variations, the BMW X5 makes between 17 and 20 mpg in the city and between 22 and 26 mpg on the highway.
- Cargo space: The base volume is 33 cubic feet. The specialized press often mentions that folding down the second seat row is easy and can be done from the outside of the car.
#13: 2022 Jeep Wagoneer
Class: Full-size generalist, Price: $70,845
2022 Jeep Wagoneer Specs
- Engine: The only option available is a 5.7-liter V8 which is supported by a mild hybrid system and offers cylinder deactivation. It is good for 392 hp of power and 404 lb-ft of torque.
- Fuel economy: EPA estimates indicate 16 mpg in the city and 22 mpg on the highway for the rear-wheel drive variation. Upgrading to AWD lowers those figures to 15 mpg and 20 mpg.
- Cargo space: The base 27 cubic feet can be increased by folding the third and the second seat rows.
#14: 2022 Cadillac Escalade
Class: Large luxury, Price: $77,890
Why We Picked It: While the Tahoe and the Yukon struggle to snatch generalist customers, the Escalade becomes one of the best AWD SUVs by bringing the American essence to the luxury market. Third row rides with plenty of comfort but, if you want even more room, take the ESV version.
2022 Cadillac Escalade Specs
- Engine: The Cadillac Escalade allows you to choose between a 6.2-liter V8 good for 420 hp and 460 lb-ft or a turbo diesel, six-cylinder 3.0L which makes 277 hp and the same torque.
- Fuel economy: The base version, equipped with rear-wheel drive, makes 15 mpg in the city and 20 mpg on the highway. Using AWD lowers each of those figures by 1 mpg. Opting for the turbodiesel engine moves them to 21 mpg in the city and 27 mpg on the highway.
- Cargo space: The base volume is 43 ft³ but can be increased by folding down the third and second seat rows. The long-wheelbase version offers even more room in all settings.
#15: 2022 Mercedes-AMG GLS63
Class: Full-size luxury, Price: $133,150
2022 Mercedes-AMG GLS63 Specs
- Engine: The AMG version uses a twin-turbocharged 4.0L V8 good for 603 hp of power and 627 lb-ft of torque. It is helped by a mild hybrid system.
- Fuel economy: EPA estimates indicate that this model makes 14 mpg in the city and 18 mpg on the highway.
- Cargo space: The base 17 cubic feet volume may be increased by folding down the third and the second seat rows.
What are the advantages of 7 seat SUVs?
It’s no surprise that you have to pitch in a few thousand extras to bump up from a small SUV to a midsize or large one. Apart from the high price tag and slight inconvenient handling (in small parking spots), 7 seat SUVs offer a host of advantages. Let’s take a look.
Lots of Passenger Space
The primary reason you’d invest in a 7 seat SUV is the passenger space. It comfortably seats 7 people, with ample headroom and legroom for comfort. These spacious vehicles are suitable for family trips, road trips with friends, or for driving down the adventurous alleys.
Roomy Cargo Area
When you have a big family, you’d need more storage space in your vehicle. 7 seat SUVs are great in this department. With large space, you get an extended cargo area. When you feel the available space isn’t enough, you might fold down the rear seats to squeeze in a few more luggage bags, provided that nobody is using the back passenger seats.
Safe & Reliable
A 7-seat SUV is big in dimension, so you can expect it to be equipped with the necessary safety and driver-assist features. The big size ensures higher ground clearance, authoritative driving position, and most importantly, greater control over the ride.
Midsize and full-size SUVs have amazing off-road ability. You can take these vehicles on long trips, no matter how adventurous or bumpy the roads are. Small SUVs embody the sporty appearance for sure, but they are suitable for urban roads, and that’s why midsize and large SUVs are the better alternatives for frequent travelers and off-roaders.
What are the disadvantages of 7 seat SUVs?
7 seat SUVs may seem to be perfect, but there are a few minor inconveniences you have to bear with.
Low Fuel Economy
7 seat SUVs come in big dimensions, so they require more power to run the vehicle. For this reason, they have low fuel economy, as compared to smaller vehicles. If you want a big SUV that offers ample room for your entire family, you have to deal with their fuel-thirsty nature.
Not Very Fast
Blame the dimension again. Their massive structures prevent them from being too sporty or agile. The result? Rides in these SUVs don’t feel very fast on city and highway roads.
Cramped Third Row
In 7 seat SUVs, the third row is not always roomy. Sometimes they are suitable only for children, as there is hardly any legroom or headroom for an adult to fit in. However, this is not the case with all 7 passenger SUVs.
After going through this list of the best 7 seat SUVs, you are well-informed of the present market scenario. Now it’s your turn to analyze the pros and cons of each vehicle, and figure out which one fits the best with your lifestyle.
Among the 15 vehicles included in the list, the 2022 Genesis GV80 turns out to be the best 7 seat SUV. It takes care of all the priorities you’d like to have in your SUV, such as ample space, refined ride, and vigorous powertrain. Besides, it makes the deal sweeter by adding a handsome design and elegant cabin.